Teen Drawing & More
Fall 2020 Upcoming offerings
- All classes are limited to 6 students with 1 teacher. Minimum of 5 students required. Spaces will likely fill up quickly so don’t delay.
- COVID-19 safety measures are in place: health screening prior to entry in the studio, protective barriers between students/teacher, use of PPE, physical distancing guidelines, hand washing and sanitization required upon arrival and departure, regular sanitization of surfaces.
- No food allowed in the studio.
- All students receive their own supply kit to use during the camp and take home afterward. Materials cost is included.
- Registration closes August 31, 2020.
- A non-refundable deposit, consisting of the materials fee and first month’s fees, is due at the time of registration.
- Fees may be paid in monthly instalments.
- Our withdrawal policy requires 1 full months’ notice and penalty of 1 month’s fees for early withdrawal.
- In case of studio closure due to COVID-19, all classes will transfer online.
- There are no drop-in classes or make up classes at alternate times.
- A New Student Consultation/Assessment appointment or phone call is recommended to ensure the best fit for each student.
Most teen classes are offered in-studio at Aliki’s Art House. Online classes are available for Drawing Fundamentals.
Year-Round Weekly Classes Sep 2020 to May 2021
Right Brain Drawing for Teens + Adults
Disappointed that you didn’t get the ART option you were hoping for at school? Feel like you CAN’T draw but wished you could? Right Brain Drawing for Teens is the PERFECT SOLUTION for YOU! With only 6 students per class, there is plenty of opportunity for 1-to-1 mentorship. Designed for teens 12 years & older (in junior and senior high school) who have no prior drawing instruction, as well as those who enjoy drawing and wish to improve their ability to draw from life.
This comprehensive class gives teens greater self-confidence in their drawing abilities. Following the teaching methodology of Betty Edwards, students learn to draw realistically from life (not visuals) through careful observation and seeing the things around them in a new way. Very quickly, students acquire strong drawing skills, as well as enhance their everyday problem-solving skills, visual thinking, concentration and focus. Research has shown that students who study the arts, in general, develop 10 important skills for success in everyday life such as creativity, confidence, problem-solving skills, perseverance, focus, non-verbal communication, resiliency, collaboration skills, dedication and accountability (Phillips, 2010).
No experience necessary. Adults may join the class too. A 10% family discount is provided.
- Thursdays 6:30 – 8:30 pm (14 classes)
- Sep 17 – Dec 17, 2020
- $551.25 Instructional Fee
- $31.50 drawing kit and handouts
- $21.00 New Student Registration
Learn to Draw in ONE DAY workshops
This in-depth drawing workshop is geared to adults and teens (13 years & older) at all stages from the most intimidated to drawing enthusiasts. It’s perfect for the whole family to do together. We offer Part 1 and Part 2 on separate days.
Aliki’s 7-Step System* will teach you how to draw realistically in just ONE DAY! We have balanced just the right combination of theory, drawing exercises, and fun. You will leave the studio saying, “I CAN draw!”
- September 20, 2020
- Sunday 9:30 am – 4:00 pm (30-minute lunch break)
- $157.50 workshop fee
- $31.50 materials fee, includes a take-home drawing kit, handouts and visuals
In Fall 2020, the Teen Art Combo class will include an introduction to painting (acrylic and/or watercolour), as well art journaling and sculpting.
Arts Combo: Gem Journals and Sculpting
This eclectic class integrates both 2D and 3D techniques into the creative process. Designed for teens and adults, this 2-hour class will be a fun, creative and interactive time. Students continue to develop their technical drawing skills using a wide range of media. They will be challenged to think outside the box and to take charge of their learning in a unique and exciting way. 3-dimensional sculpting projects take art off the page and into space.
Zentangle drawing exercises are introduced to facilitate relaxation and thinking “on the right side of the brain.” Each session offers a variety of projects and may vary from sample photos.
We are very excited to be offering gem journaling for teens in combination with sculpting projects. So, what is the difference between a journal and a gem journal? Journals become gem journals when you add depth, colour, and creativity through illustrations (such as photographs and embellishments of any kind). Using Aliki’s Seven-Step system for composing a journal page, budding artists will begin to explore, play, create and listen as they express themselves. Art journalling is a wonderful process of drawing, collaging, and writing using mixed media. Skills used in this class are easily transferable to schoolwork and projects. Studies show that studying via a combination of drawing and writing helps students retain concepts better.
Fall 2020 Term (13 years and older; adults may also join this class)
- Mondays 6:30 – 8:30 pm
- September 14 – December 7, 2020 (12 classes)
- $472.50 Instructional Fee (Friends & Family discount available)
- $26.25 Materials Fee plus some personal supplies will be required. Instructor will provide a list on the first class.
- $21 New Student Registration Fee
Full – Year Term
- Mondays at 4:30 pm – 6:00 pm
- Sep 14, 2020 – May 31, 2021 (31 classes)
- $65.00/session Material fee
- $26.25 New Student Registration fee (waived for returning students)
Learn Acrylic Painting: Basics & Beyond
Learning to paint is a natural next step after learning to draw. This class is the perfect opportunity for teens to explore the basics of acrylic painting through hands-on learning while creating finished paintings. Fundamental art concepts of colour, light, form, texture are reinforced in the painting process while encouraging exploration and personal, creative expression. Simple subject matter such as botanicals, landscapes, and still life will be studied. Drawing experience is an asset.
This class is suitable for adults too. Parents and teens can join the class together for a fun and rewarding bonding experience. A 10 % discount offered when 2 or more sign up together.
Ages: 12 years and older
Discover Watercolour Painting
Come discover the true magic of watercolour. Enjoy adding colour to your drawings? Like to spend time playing with watercolour & brushes? Tweens and teens are excited and ready for more complex techniques & materials so we love to challenge them as they grow in their creative process. Students are encouraged to trust their instincts, value their individuality, and think critically about their art choices.
In this class, students explore and experience the properties of watercolour through hands-on practice of techniques such as colour mixing, layering, lifting, wet on wet, wet on dry, dry brushing, and masking. All lessons are led by a professional artist through discussion of theory, plenty of demonstration of techniques, and one-to-one mentoring. The finished artwork is truly inspiring!
Ages: 9 – 15 year olds
(5 to 7 years)
(7 years & older)
Arts Combo ~ Gem Journals & Sculpting
(8 years & older)
Private Art Lessons
(7 years & older)
(5 years & older)
(10 years & older)